Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bryce and the ER




Update: Bryce had his first trip to the ER Friday. What a pleasant experience that was...NOT!

Rewind to Friday morning...B had a field trip to the skating rink at 9:30. Apparently he fell on his bottom, elbow, and everything else while skating. Anyway, he fell on his elbow/arm just right so that it literally looked like there was a baseball in it. However, he didn't let anyone know, he just kept on skating.

Fast forward to 4:00 when Bryan and I go pick him up. Bryan gets him while I stay in the van. So when Bryce gets into the van he shows me his arm. It is huge!!! He tells me what happened and then I marched right back into daycare to find out why I was never called. Any normal person would see that his arm needed medical attention. The young daycare lady whom I am not FOND of at this moment, told me that she asked him, in front of the kids, if he did that at daycare. So, for 6 hours, his arm, which got bigger and bigger throughout the day, was not iced. Grrrr......

I march to the admin office to get times of the field trip, give them my complaint, and they we rushed to the pediatrician who in turn, told us to go to ER. She was calling it in. After 3 hours, and a couple of Xrays later, the doctor was surprised that he didn't have a broken bone, just a severe contusion. Phew! A huge sigh of relief!

So we have been icing it and taking Motrin for swelling. It looks a lot better, but very colorful. He can start football practice back up soon, so he is excited. And, he was still able to have a birthday party on Saturday, which was the MOST important thing of all!
I uploaded a couple of pics. They aren't very good, but you get the gist. These pics were taken after a lot of the swelling had gone down. This is also the bruising just beginning. It is a huge purple covering all over his elbow and lower arm area right now. It was amazing because it seriously looked like a baseball was in his arm. I will take more pics later to show you the color. Fun stuff!

Oh, my baby turns 7 tomorrow...where does the time go?




1 comment:

Jenn said...

Ack! I can't believe that A: no one called you to tell you what happened and B: they let it go for 6 hours! I would have complained big time too. That's just ridiculous! I'm so glad nothing is broken. Poor kiddo!

Happy Birthday Bryce! Glad the party was able to go on!