Sunday, April 10, 2011

Memories

     Growing up, one of my favorite meals was rouladen, a German meat roll filled with yummy goodness.  Instead of turkey for the holidays, we would ask for this meal.  We were introduced to this dish by G.  C and G were our "adoptive" grandparents.  When our family would go to their house for dinner, G would cook for days preparing all these German foods she grew up with.  Her dinners were not like your normal dinners.  She would cook several main dishes, several side dishes, several everything.  It was amazing...truly an art.  Anyway, as the years progressed, we didn't see C and G due to moving, life, etc.  However, mom or dad would make this meal if we begged.  It wasn't too hard, they loved it too.  The only hard part was trying to find a good butcher to cut the meat correctly. 

     We visited my dad and stepmom over spring break.  Dad wanted to cook us dinner and I begged for rouladen, of course.  This time, I took pictures of each step!  We alter the traditional recipe using pickles, but we still use the basics with a few extras...mustard, onions, celery, bacon, and mushrooms.  Mmmmmm!





1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow, I've never heard of that, but it sounds like something my meat loving husband would love! And you captured it beautifully! Great pics. :) The post made me tear up, but I really enjoyed reading about your memories. Love ya!